What to do when mold is discovered during your home inspection...

Most home inspectors are trained to discover signs of a mold-like substance during their inspection of your property. The typical locations where mold can easily be discovered during a home inspection is within attics and basement areas or wherever water and plumbing leaks can happen, such as bathrooms.

A good home inspector will not only identify the mold-like substance and let you immediately know about it, but they should also be able to determine if the area of contamination is considered large or small. The size of the contamination is very important. Areas greater than 10sf may require an assessment and professional remediation. The cost for mold assessment and remediation can exceed $1,500, therefore, areas of mold-like growth greater than 10sf should be considered a substantial defect. However, areas smaller than 10sf should be cleaned, but do not require professional remediation. Knowing the size of the problem can save the potential buyers and sellers time and hassle.

Not only does Bald Eagle Inspection Service determined the size of the contamination at the time of the inspection, but we also offer immediate testing of the mold-like substance found and have the ability to turn a home inspection into a mold assessment if the mold-like substance is determined to be actual mold growth. The ability to test and determine at the time of the inspection saves both buyer and seller days within the process.

Some people are sensitive to mold. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions. Where mold is discovered, it is Recommended that a mold assessor be consulted about appropriate action.

If you or someone you know is considering a home inspection or mold assessment, call Bald Eagle Inspection Services at (518)-488-2538!